Friday 22 February 2013

Book Club - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


“The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.” 

Since I have been reading more recently I thought I would do a review of the books that I particularly like. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern definitely makes it onto that list! I love books that transport you to magical worlds, and this book does just that. However, The Night Circus is based in our own world in the late 1800's and the magic therein is only known by some!

“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.” 

It is essentially a love story, but rather a complicated one. Not that this is a bad thing, I actually enjoyed this attention to detail very much! Before we are introduced to the love story, we are introduced to a magical competition, or a game if you like. The Circus is to be the setting of that game. 

“Life takes us to unexpected places sometimes. The future is never set in stone, remember that.” 

The characters in this book are complex, but ultimately very likeable. The Circus itself is really the biggest character in the book. Through Morgenstern's words we can smell it, taste it , and see the muted colour in all its glory. We are given delightful insights into the magic inside some of the tents. I loved hearing what was in each tent, and actually, although in the book they are made using magic, I would love to see them re-created in real life. The cloud maze, the ice garden, the labyrinth, the pool of tears, all are even more magical than they sound. One of my favourites was The Wishing Tree, where candles are lit to make a wish, and one wish is used to light another. Widgets tent was my absolute favourite, where whole experiences were kept in jars and bottles and boxes, ready to delight whoever is to open it!

“I made a wish on this tree years ago," Marco says."What did you wish for?" Bailey asks. Marco leans forward and whispers in Bailey's ear. "I wished for her."

This book absolutely enchanted me. I wish they would make a movie of it, although I am sure they could not capture the essence of the Circus as well as Morgenstern has done with her words. Or better still, can someone actually make the circus itself please? It's a goodie, you must read it if you get the chance! Its also a proper bargain on Amazon at the moment.  This is actually Morgenstern's first book, so I am really excited to see what she does next!


Currently I'm reading 'Life of Pi', but I would love to hear your suggestions of what I should read next!

Laura xXx







12 comments:

  1. That sounds magical- definitely going to add to my To Read list once I've finished my current stack of books :) Life of Pi is brilliant. Have you read The Time Traveller's Wife? If not, would recommend it- it's a little tricky to get into but once I got the hang of the whole time travel narrative thingy I was hooked xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying Life Of Pi at the moment. No, I haven't read The Time Traveller's Wife, but i really liked the film so I am sure I would like the book! :)

      Delete
  2. This book looks great!

    A few days ago I made a post about the Divergent trilogy. They are similar to The Hunger Games books, so if you like them definitely check those out.
    By the way, your kindle case is beautiful! where did you get it? because mine is plain black and I'm looking for a new (=

    Maria xx

    craftyowl93.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, i will have to check those out, thanks :) I actually made the Kindle case myself, i did a post about it here --http://wrappedupinrainbows.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/diy-tutorial-kindle-case-and-stand.html

      I'm thinking of doing a video tutorial at some point because it's a bit difficult to describe in writing! :)

      Delete
    2. YOU DID IT! It's amazing! I'll try to do it myself then (=

      Maria x

      Delete
  3. This book came recommended to me by Amazon after buying The Snow Child (have you read that? It's my favourite!) and I keep meaning to read it. Your review has bumped it up my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I have just added it to my wishlist on amazon so I don't forget. Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is definitely on my list of books to read. Also, you are really really good at book reviews. Have you read The Phantom Tollbooth? The part with the jars of experiences reminded me of the part in The Phantom Tollbooth with jars of sounds.

    http://happeningsfromanundisclosedlocation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, I haven't, I will check that out! Thanks for the compliment, I think it is easier if you really really love the book, I tried to do one a little while ago but it didn't come out very good so I gave up. I enjoyed writing this one though :)

      Delete
  6. I'm still admiring the lovely case you made for your kindle. Life of Pi is one of my favourite books, looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to read it I may just have to wait till next month to pick up a copy and peruse through it. This is different for me but by your review sounds so interesting.

    Marlene Detierro (Ptarmigan Hunts in Alaska)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena