Wednesday 20 February 2013

Miniature Garland DIY

miniature garland
On thursday I was given a box of yummy chocolates, and the foil wrappers they were in were such pretty colours I just had to make them into something! 

Have you ever been given chocolates at the end of a meal and made the wrapper into something? For some reason my family always used to do this, it became a bit of a competition. Rings and flowers were the most common items, but today I am going to show you how to make a pretty miniature garland... however you will have to eat an entire box of chocolates in order to do this. I know, I know, I am so cruel!
diy supplies
What you need;
  • Collection of foil sweet wrappers
  • Pretty coloured thread
  • A thin needle
chocolate foil
Start by squishing each piece of foil paper into a little ball. If the other side of the foil is another colour try to fold it back and tuck it in, so that you can only see one colour on the outside. Squish it really tight together.
DIY FOIL BALLS
Now you should have a pretty little ball shaped jewel. Anyone else might think it was real gold! (OK, maybe not, but I think you could just about pretend it wasn't a foil wrapper.) Do the same to all of your pieces of foil and you should end up with a pretty little collection like below.
DIY FOIL BEADS

DIY FOIL BEADS
Now you need to get your needle and thread and start threading your 'jewels' on. You might want to use a double thickness of thread to keep them in place a bit more securely.
Taa daa. Now you can decorate whatever you like with your pretty, miniature garland. I decided to spruce up my stationary jar.
Hey, you could even make a bracelet out of them!
I'm definitely going to start hoarding more sweet wrappers after this! I may even have to start eating more chocolates!

Another thing I love to make out of sweet wrappers is origami cranes, I think they are the prettiest!
I love to make something out of nothing, especially when it would have gone in the bin otherwise! Do you make anything out of otherwise useless items?

Laura xXx

16 comments:

  1. I love these garlands! I always play with my candy wrappers but I'm always at a loss of what to do with them. This is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! I have always been one to play with my wrappers as well! I used to peel the foil off of the gum wrappers and use it to make all kinds of things. Love the banner idea, so useful. :)

    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who wouldn't love mini garland?! and I love the foil colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the blue is my favourite colour in the whole world :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully I can collect enough to make a really long one!

      Delete
  5. A really fun DIY! Anything that requires me to eat chocolate is a must I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep, it certainly can't be a bad thing! Especially since they were mint chocolates which are my absolute favourite! Apart from guylian's, but they have no wrappers :(

      Delete
  6. so sparkly, love the colours! My dad always used to make mini cups out of the foil from chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cups! We definitely did that too! :)

      Delete
  7. This is too cute! Just found your blog and am so glad I did! I LOVE it! :)

    http://ciderwithrosiebee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your site when checking out what other people do with chocolate wrappers. See my post in January 2014 to see lovely foiled butterflies adorning boxes, cards and fridges. http://inkspirationaldesigns.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena