Saturday 9 June 2012

Experimenting with Nail Art - DIY Leopard Print

I've never really experimented with nail art. Don't get me wrong, I love painting my nails pretty colours! But with nail art I have always thought that whilst I may be able to make my left hand look pretty cool, my right hand was going to look a total mess, no matter how much time I spent on it.

Recently, however, I've been seeing more and more nail art on instagram, twitter, pinterest and on some of my favourite blogs. Well, if they can do it why can't I!?  I spotted a models own nail art pen in Boots and thought it was the perfect way to get started!

First I thought I would just try a different pattern on each nail and see what I liked best. Unfortunately I probably couldn't get away with wearing this to work, so I picked a day when my nail varnish was due to come off so I could go as crazy as I liked, then whip it off quickly before work the next day.
So... As you can see I decided to go for vertical stripes on my little nail, then spots (which gradually turned into leopard print), then swirls, then diagonal stripes, and finally spots across the top of my nail on my thumb.  Well, I quickly realised that the stripes and swirls were not going to be easy to replicate on my right hand, but that was ok, I liked the spots/leopard print best anyway!

Now to see if I could do it without any smudges or mistakes!
Success! I think these look pretty darn good.  And because of the rugged nature of leopard print, it was pretty easy to do to!

After I finished these I put a quick coat of clear nail varnish on them. Perhaps I should have waited a little longer as they did smudge a little, although not too noticeably. Ideally I think next time I would let it dry over night before painting the clear coat, just to be sure it would be extra perfect.

I'm sure I'll try this again soon, although maybe I'll wait for a weekend so I can actually show them off!

Below are the varnishes I used to make this design.  Models Own 3 in 1 Base coat/Top coat and Gloss, Models own Nail Art Pen in black and Rimmel London  60 Seconds Instyle Coral.

Let me know if you try this design out and if it works for you!

Laura xXx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena