Friday 4 October 2013

DIY Shrinky Dink Jewellery Tutorial - Diamonds are a girls best friend!


shrinky dink diy jewellery tutorial
Remember a little while back when I made Game Of Thrones sigil badges out of shrinky dinks? Well I'm at it again, but this time I am making fancy jewellery!

It is true what they say. Diamonds ARE a girls best friend! And so are crystals and emeralds and sapphires, anything pretty really. BUT who says they have to be real? If you cant afford a selection of jewellery with real diamonds and other gem stones, (lets face it, who can?) then why not make your own for super cheap?  They are pretty darn easy to make too! So today I am going to show you how you can quickly knock up your own gemstone earrings, necklace and brooch!
Before you start you will need to find some gem stone shapes which you like, and can print out. I downloaded most of the diamond/gemstone/crystal shapes from mini-eco. Aren't they so pretty! I love all of Kate's Tutorials, they are fantastic, you can check them out here. I copied the image onto my computer and coloured each gem stone shape separately.

Emerald Brooch




DIY shrinky dink diamond brooch tutorial


You will need:
  • Shrinky Dink Printable Paper - print out 1 gemstone (mine measured  approx 6cm by 5cm at its widest points before being cooked.)
  • An Oven
  • A Brooch Back
  • Superglue


Print out your gemstone onto the shrinky dink paper, and cut it out carefully. Bear in mind before you print that it will shrink quite considerably, and the colour will also darken. Follow the instructions on your packet to get the best results. Here is what mine looked like before I had cooked it...

shrinky dink diamond...and here is what it looked like afterwards. Quite a difference right? So make sure you are printing it big enough for your brooch back to fit on. Once you have cooked it, all you need to do is glue on the brooch back with the super glue, (be careful not to get it on your fingers!) and you're done!diamond shrinky dink diy

Diamond Earrings

shrinky dinky diamond earrings diy tutorial
You will need:

  • Shrinky Dink Printable Paper- print out 2 diamonds -  (measuring approx 5.2cm by 4.8cm at the widest points before being cooked)
  • An Oven
  • Earwire hooks with spring and ball (or dangly earrings to you and me)
  • 4 small jump rings
  • A hole punch
  • Tweezers

shrinky dinky diamond
Start off by printing and cutting out your gemstone shape again, but this time you are going to punch a hole in it at the top so that we can attach the earring. It is easier if you have a single hole punch, but it could be done with a normal one if needed.
diy shrinky dinks
Then, bake it as before, and when it is done you can attach the earring.  I found that I needed to attach 2 jump rings, as when I only attached one the diamond was facing sideways rather than forwards. I don't have any proper jewellery making equipment, so I just made do with a pair of tweezers. You will need to bend each jump ring to hook it on, then bend it back once it is attached, and I found that was the easiest way to do it.
diy shrinky dink diamond earrings

Gemstone Necklacediy shrinky dink diamond and gem stone necklace tutorial

You will need:

  • Shrinky Dink Printable Paper-print out 5 gemstones (the diamond in the middle measured 5.2cm by 4.8cm before it went in the oven)
  • An Oven
  • A piece of chain
  • 6 jump rings
  • A hole punch
  • Tweezers


shrinky dink diamond necklace
Follow the same steps as with the earrings, but instead of punching one hole at the top, you will need to punch one hole on either side of each gem before baking.  Once cooked simply attach a jump ring to either end of your chain, then attach the gems to each other until both ends of the chain are linked up.
diy shrinky dinky diamond necklace tutorial
I hope you enjoyed my Shrinky Dink DIY'S today. I do have one more I would like to share with you, but I will save that for another day. If you do give this a go I would love to see your results!

Laura xXx


20 comments:

  1. I love Shrinky paper, we've used it loads in the past with the guides and my Sis and I used to make a lot of our own jewellery. I always used to wish I was better at drawing, but I'd never thought of printing out designs to colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, shrinky dink paper is fun and so effective! I love the gems you've chosen, great necklace!
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cool! I've always wanted to play around with shrinky dink paper... one day, one day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used Shrinky Dink paper before but I think I'm gonna give it a try after seeing this. These gems are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I love these, what a creative idea. You can make so much with shrinky dinks...I really need to pick some up! -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic! I'm going to give them a try this weekend. Also, I just discovered your blog (thanks, Craftgawker!), and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I'd love to see what you make!

      Delete
  7. LOVE! I've been looking for a gift idea for an eclectic friend. These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look awesome! I especially love the necklace.
    Now to get hold of some shrinky dink paper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! I have never heard of shrink dink paper and I love it already! Can't wait to hit up amazon and find me some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sooo cute! did you hand color or use photoshop/illustrator?

    ReplyDelete
  11. your post is superb , don't forget to visit our website
    http://www.theopalhub.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buying jewellery from an online store can be so much like a dream, where you have numerous designs and patterns right in front of you and you can take as much time you require selecting the one you like the most. We all love to scrutinize each and every piece of jewellery. Scottsdale diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again a time line and over view through history but an absolute gem of a book because it has shows the backs and mechanism or findings that are essential to dating jewellery. trendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is no rule as to what carat weight you should buy, but you'll doubtless have heard that "bigger is better." If you ask me, I think bigger is great but you shouldn't forget about the other aspects of a diamond's quality. Scottsdale diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is because if we carefully consider the creation of the jewellery, we will find that "time" also makes its conditions. Time may reveal to us some ultimate truths by traces or stains on materials. pawn shops in scottsdale az

    ReplyDelete
  16. Recently, Nakshatra offered you a golden opportunity to enter in the dazzling world of shimmering jewellery by presenting a new collection of diamond jewellery. Scottsdale diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello i am from Niche Jewellery. I like your blog very much.
    I also have a jewellery website you can check my website - Buy women's bracelets

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena