Saturday 17 August 2013

A DIY Personalised Housewarming Gift Idea

DIY Housewarming card
This week, one of my best friends, Kate, and her boyfriend, moved into their very first house! It has all been very exciting, because originally we were buying a house in the same street! Unfortunately, ours didn't quite work out, but the good news is that we have now found somewhere even better, and it is still only a 6 minute walk from their house, hurrah! I am very excited to become neighbours, so fingers crossed this one goes smoothly. 


As you can see from my little interpretation above, their house is absolutely lovely! I thought I should take them over a little house warming gift, but I knew that they had been shopping for most things already, so I settled for something which I believe you can't have too many of, wooden spoons!

But wooden spoons are usually a bit boring aren't they? So I thought I would share with you the quick make over I gave them. (Kate, if you are reading this, it wasn't quick at all, it was a long and painstaking process!)

First of all, in case you can't imagine it, here is a picture of some normal wooden spoons...
Plain wooden spoons
All I did was to mask of little sections of the spoons with washi tape. Then I used different coloured acrylic paint in each section. I had to give each one 2 coats.
diy fancy wooden spoons
Once it was dry I just removed the masking tape and and gave it a coat of clear sealer. Making sure to only get the sealer on the painted parts of the spoons, and no further down (I don't want to poison anyone!) And here they are finished...
diy painted wooden spoons
Now these probably wouldn't hold up that well in a dishwasher, but for a quick (not quick Kate!) personalised gift I don't think they are too shabby. And whats better is that they hadn't even bought any wooden spoons yet, woohoo!

Have you made anything in the past to give as a housewarming gift?

Laura xXx

17 comments:

  1. fab idea and I love the card
    http://joannavictoria.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww these are so cute. What a nice little present.

    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great idea! and really simple =)

    Maria x

    craftyowl93.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet housewarming gift. I love the house portrait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great post and gifts! I love these housewarming gift ideas and I'll surely consider this list when shopping for gifts. Thanks a bunch!

    All the best,
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ownster lets you design your own unique travel card wallet online in just a few minutes! We allow you to upload your favorite photos and personalise the caption to get your special travel card holder printed and posted to your preferred address. Personalised photo notebook can become either an individual accessory for yourself or a thoughtful gift for your relatives, loved ones, friends or colleagues. Ownsters will make it easy and fascinating for you to create your own custom photo notebook and to expand the opportunities to showcase your exciting and original ideas, illustrating those precious treasured moments of your life. Ownsters: Custom Travel Card Holders | Photo Gift Idea | Personalized Bus Pass, Oyster Card Wallets No minimum orders. Make personalized oyster card holder online. Add your own photos, design, logo or text. Printed and dispatched in 24 hours. Perfect gift Idea for relatives, loved ones, friends or colleagues. You can Photo gifts, Personalised photo gifts, Personalised photo gift, Personalised gifts, Cheap personalised gifts, Photo notebooks and Father’s Day gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice ideas and great collections.
    you can also have UV print on wood it wil look more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing this, i love the designs. Good Job.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I like UV printing products they are unique and it looks amazing. I like this services

      Delete
  8. I really appreciate your blog and very nice and interesting information about the gifts for her uk that's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you.
    pillow printing

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back. family tree papercut

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thoughtful housewarming gifts online - You can send personalised house signs to your family and friends or explore personalised doormats that feature names, monograms & other custom details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very informative and instructive content.
    Tractor Price

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena